Monday, November 16, 2015

Celebrating a Cherished Life

When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure…


I am always grateful to have the honor to assist with my clients’ happiest days: their weddings, bar mitzvahs, baby announcements, birthdays, and other special events. Occasionally, I get asked to create something to honor of the toughest times in one’s life: these are often the projects that define me as a person...

Several weeks ago, I received one of the most fulfilling invitation requests I have ever created. A former client reached out to me and said, “ I have an interesting question for you? Have you ever done invitations for a celebration of life?”

Her dear friend, Jan, had passed away after fighting illness for quite some time. It was one of Jan’s last requests that she not receive a traditional funeral, but rather a celebration of the life she lived: full of bright colors, joy, and merriment. It was a task that I felt was heart-warming, endearing, and incredible honorable to take on.

I grew up in a family where due to the age and proximity of all the elder grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc., we were at the funeral home quite a bit. As a young child, it was a delight for me: I got to see my cousins, wear a pretty dress, and there were these tiny little bottles of soda for the family in the kitchen that were just my size. I had no idea there was sadness there; as far as I was concerned it was a time of joy. I grew up not fearing death, but accepting it as part of the walk we all take.  I saw this stationery project as an opportunity to glorify the life of a wonderful woman and celebrate her in a way that was fun and cheerful: as she would have wanted.

I wanted to create an invitation that captured Jan’s spirit and celebrated the life she lived, so it was imperative that it was brightly colored, fresh, contemporary, and sincere. It was important that it cheerful in the way it was written. We opted for a simple but beautiful 5x7 bight pink invitation (her favorite color) with a shimmery finish, sweet wording in a fun font, and finished off with by adding rhinestones to the "i"s of "in celebration" as Jan loved Bling!





Jan loved to eat at Olive Garden, so it was only fitting that her celebration take place there. I created a welcome sign and tented menus for the tables of Jan’s favorite foods. The décor was a combination of things from her closet: fantastic pieces of costume jewelry, purses, pictures, etc. and all of the guests were invited to take a memento with them as they left. It was a time of sharing stories, memories, and laughter. I like to think that she enjoyed the shindig from up above and laughed right along.  










Thank you Jan, for allowing me to be a part of your life story and may the memories you have left in the hearts of your friends and family always be bright treasures!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home